Framed Hexagon Patchwork Template Matilda's Own
The perfect Quilt As You Go project
A lovely hand piecing project that comes together very quickly. Three hexagon shapes make up these engaging blocks which, when they are finished, are finished!
- Cutting: Use the 5" hexagon to cut one shape from batting and one shape from your chosen top fabric. Use the 7" hexagon to cut one shape from your chosen backing fabric.
- Place the backing hexagon (7") wrong side up and centre the batting and then the 5" hexagon on top right side up. Pin all three layers.
- Fold the raw edge of the large backing hexagon twice
- So that the raw edge meets the raw edge of the 5" hexagon. The fold is approximately 1/2"
- Then fold a second time bringing the first folded edge of the larger hexagon onto the 5" hexagon. You will then have a 1/2" border around the edge of the 5" hexagon. Hint: Do every second side first to get neat mitres on the remaining sides.
- To join the framed hexagons together , place two right sides together and ladder stitch the edge. Because they are backed and quilted already, you are done!
Options Make the centre Grandmothers Flower Garden using the 1" hexagon template included in the set. Centre the Grandmother's Flower Garden block onto the top 5" hexagon and applique in place.
Notes on the finished size of the block The 5" and 7" measurements refer to the size of the hexagon templates measured from point to point across the widest part of the template. The 5" template measures 2.5" along one side. The 7" template measures 3.5" along one side.